Tuesday, January 20, 2009

So I went for my physical today. Appointment was set for 7 am hours. Last week when I scheduled the appointment the receptionist told me that I needed to fast before the physical, no food or drink ect. No problem..Iam trying to lose a few pounds anyway. When I finally get called back, imediately I am handed a cup and told they need a urine sample. Keep in mind I havent had anything to drink since 7 pm last night. I cant give them what they wanted since I did not ingest anything to produce the product. They go ahead and take the normal stuff....temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and stick me for lab tests on T.B., VDRL, H.I.V. and ask the standard questions on medical history and mental state. The nurse practitioner comes in and starts filling out the physicians report for the social worker. The lab tech that took my blood was very good...I felt a little pressure but no discomfort. After 6 cups of water I can give them what they need to complete the urinalysis and I am just about set to go. I ask the lab tech if they are doing a cholesterol screening. She said no but they could if I wanted it. I haven't had it checked in while so I figure why not. I go sit in the waiting room and wait to finish checking out. A few minutes later, they call me back in and tell me that they need more blood. One lab checks the cholesterol, but a different lab checks the other stuff. I could either get stuck again or come back in a few days. Oh well, it went so smoothly the first time lets go ahead and do it again today and get it over with. BIIIIG MISTAKE!!! The lab tech this time was NOT the same lab tech as the first time. She missed my vein with the first stick and starting digging around trying to hit it. Finally she gave up and went and got the first tech again. I was very glad. The first tech looked and decided to try the other arm. She really didn't have to decide as I had already made THAT decision for her. Like before, she found it no problem and only felt a little pressure. Then she starts saying something about I must be hungry because my blood wasn't flowing. I asked her what she meant and she said that when you are hungry your blood doesnt come out easily. I guess you learn something new everyday. I cant really say that I am hungry, but I could stand to eat. After all, I havent eaten since 7pm last night. Anyway, I check out and go to the truck with my paperwork. Once there I start looking over it and see that the nurse practitioner has checked each box that clearly says "check those which are abnormal and describe below". Hmmmmm everthing about me is abnormal! lol Then I see where she has written to the side "Sorry all are normal, I accidently made a check mark" and signed it.

I hope the paperwork will not be rejected b/c of this.

Now I guess I play the waiting game. Thursday I should know the results of the TB test, and later this week I should get the others.

No comments: